Summary: American Conservation Experience, a nationwide Non-Profit Conservation Corps based in Flagstaff, AZ, in partnership with the BLM Phoenix District Office is seeking One Hydrology Tech Lead Intern to dedicate 52 weeks to the monitoring and management of water resources and weather stations as well as assisting with wildlife management tasks. This opportunity is intended for enthusiastic young professionals with a deep interest in advancing their career goals in natural resource management.
Start Date: April 3, 2017
End Date: 52 weeks after start date
* A 52-week commitment is required *
Location: Phoenix, Arizona.
Project Partner Website: For more information about the BLM Phoenix District Office, please visit their website at: https://www.blm.gov/az/st/en.html For more information and the ACE Internship Program, please visit: www.usaconservation.org
Compensation: Interns will receive a Living Allowance Stipend of $410/week, paid bi-weekly. Housing will not be provided. This position is eligible for an AmeriCorps Education Award upon successful completion of hours.
Position Description: The Hydrology Tech Lead Intern will lead the Hydrology Assistant Tech Lead Intern in measuring water quality and quantity, collecting field data using standardized protocols, setting up and maintaining weather stations, and assisting wildlife staff with other projects.
Interns should be proficient in operating a 4-wheel drive vehicle on rugged roads, navigate using topo maps, compass and GPS use, fit to hike in rugged terrain over long distances in various weather with equipment, willing and able to camp in remote locations, and be able to work independently.
Field work may consist of the following job duties:
- Measure water quantity and quality at spring and stream sites in the BLM Phoenix District.
- Set up and maintain weather stations
- Research and maintain water rights files
- Assist wildlife biologists with other tasks such as fish and wildlife surveys and habitat protection projects
Qualifications: Applicants must have a degree in Hydrology, natural resource management or other related disciplines appropriate to the position. A combination of relevant education and appropriate experience is also acceptable. Resumes must contain enough information to show that the applicant meets the experience as defined in the internship announcement. We are looking for determined, strong and developing natural resource managers who are looking for experience working with natural resource management agencies.
- U.S. Citizen or permanent resident
- Must be between the ages of 18 and 35
- A valid driver's license, clean driving record, and ability to provide documentation
- Ability and willingness to undergo a Federal criminal background check
- Effective communication skills with resource specialists, colleagues, and the public
- Able and willing to work alone and in a group
- Able and willing to work outdoors in varying weather conditions and capable of hiking long distances in rough terrain during inclement weather conditions
- Familiar with GPS, Map and Compass use, and reading Topo maps.
- Leadership/Mentor skills
- Knowledge of natural resource management
- Knowledge and experience conducting hydrology field work
- Experience in various field data collection methods using standard protocols
- Experience in hiking and navigation in steep terrain
- Strong desire to enter the conservation field as a natural resource professional
The intern must be willing to represent ACE and the BLM in a professional, positive, and enthusiastic manner. Drug users should not consider applying, as ACE reserves the right to require drug testing.
To Apply: Please submit a thoughtful resume and cover letter along with 3 professional references using the APPLY NOW section located on the upper right hand corner of the position listing on our website here: https://usaconservationepic.applicantpool.com/jobs/
NOTE: Early consideration will be given as applications are received. This position may close at any time. If you have any questions regarding this position, please feel free to contact ACE EPIC National Recruitment Specialist, Melissa Early, firstname.lastname@example.org 801-946-5201
Sign Up For Job Alerts!
- Share this Page